iRead is Palm Crest Elementary School’s summer reading program, founded in 2012 by volunteer parent Brent Kuszyk, with assistance from Sugi Sorensen. The 2018 iRead summer reading program will begin on Friday, June 1, 2018, the first day of summer vacation, and end on Wednesday, August 15, 2018, the day before the new school year starts. All students who are continuing at PCR next school year are eligible to participate. Here’s how it works:
- Any PCR student entering grades 1st through 6th grade in August 2018 is eligible to participate.
- Read and keep track of your minutes. iRead participation is measured by the time spent reading, not how many pages you read! You can read anything — books, magazines, websites, electronic readers like Kindles. Just keep track of your minutes either on the downloadable 2018 Paper Reading Log, or on the PalmCrestPTA.org website using the online reading log.
- If you will be entering 1st or 2nd grade in August, you may include minutes read reading with your parents.
- If you use the paper log, please write down the minutes read each day. At the end of the program, total your minutes and have your parent sign to verify the minutes read. Turn in your reading log to your homeroom teachers when school starts. Make sure you put your name at the top of all logs!
- If you use the online reading log, just enter the minutes read per day, then have your parents login to the PalmCrestPTA.org website and go to the parent reading log approval page to approve your minutes. You do not need to turn in anything to your homeroom teachers. We will already have your minutes read stored in our database.
- [New this year] In order to be counted as a participant, incoming 4th through 6th graders must read at least 2,000 minutes (an average of 27 minutes/day), and incoming 1st through 3rd graders must read at least 1,000 minutes (an average of 14 minutes/day).
The top 3 readers in the upper grades (incoming 4th through 6th) and the top 3 readers in the lower grades (incoming 1st through 3rd) will be recognized at the first Spirit Rally of the 2018-19 school year and receive the following rewards:
- 1st place: Medal, certificate, Flintridge Bookstore gift card, and Baked Bear gift card
- 2nd place: Certificate, Flintridge Bookstore gift card, and Baked Bear gift card
- 3rd place: Certificate, and Baked Bear gift card
[New this year] One upper grade and one lower grade with the highest participation rate will win a popsicle party and a free recess!
All participants will receive a certificate and a free run pass!
Set Your Goal!
Reading Calculator (76 total days of summer break in 2018):
- 1,000 minutes = 14 minutes per day
- 2,000 minutes = 27 minutes per day
- 3,000 minutes = 40 minutes per day
- 4,000 minutes = 53 minutes per day
- 5,000 minutes = 66 minutes per day
If you have any questions about the iRead program, please contact the iRead program administrator, Lidia Camoosa, at firstname.lastname@example.org.